Skip to main content

Gorgeous Delhi


The Gorgeous Delhi

Image result for Delhi

Actually it's not Delhi..Its" Dhilli", that is how the natives call this place, I am glad that I could spend 750 days in here with wonderful memories.

Today, am leaving this place. Oh sorry...!, I already left exactly at 9:15 am by Mangala-lakshadweep express from hazrat nizamudheen  to kuttippuram when Dr Sai baba , the best of my friends, came over with a dozen biscuits, lunch as well as dinner, beyond all that with his innocent catchy smile, That was really one of the best farewell I got in a Railway station from the only Dr cum IAS friend.


These 2 years prepared me well as a perfectly cooked SAMBAR, neatly sliced veggies, appropriately added incrediants, perfect amount of water, adequate duration of heating without forgetting to stir on time to time. Yes.. that life was yummy by the end with all ups and downs.

I am sorry If this make you sleepy even by now but I am sure, I had the best out of it, I thought I should make a note & here it is.

5th Feb 2018, I decided to keep myself out of comfort zone, Still I clearly does not know why I did so, whatever it was, my humble gratitude for throwing me out of Kerala, It was a long run but the hardest.

Came over here in a blue moon, not even able to Inquire about the "present time" in Hindi, My English was below average but no one over the ground where happy with this British mouth,this is what usually happened- I ask something in English , they try to reply in English but often failed and yelled at me in the language of Bharath matha, which I took it with a smile as I did the crime by bringing the British.

Dr. Sakeena, (a lovely senior) she helped me as a sister during my those days, arranged a few interviews in different multi-specialty hospitals but all ended up with one answer " sorry, we would prefer who could communicate well in Hindi". I felt as they still hate Mr.Mountbatten for those events in  1940s. Actually they are right, Am a doctor,I could kill people without effective communication...Lol.


Days-weeks-and one month had passed, I was still the same with a horrible communication skill and a few of sing language. I woke up early morning , walked around, sat inside the mosque, spent time in the park- I was sure, something was about to break, I just have to believe in me and try harder. There was no way to survive without the language, at least the necessary words to push your days without major troubles.

I decided to speak, whatever, I would speak I will get a reply, If I get a good answer I will learn "what words I should speak" If I get a yelling note I will learn " what I should not".But how ??,Delhi is such a busy place where No-one have the time even to look at your face. I wanted a place where people would come to me and ask something . I thought many ( Park- only couple talks, Mosque - one way speech, In front of restaurant- already occupied by a caller boy, etc. But I found a place to start....!!

Metro-station, perfect place for me to start the chemical analysis, where people would come to you for to ask- how to go to kalkanji mandhir? where is Model town? which line is for Rithala etc. I downloaded "Delhi Metro" application and started doing research on it.

Image result for gate no 7 rajiv chowk metro stationTook a couple of days for the dissection, found out names of different routes, major stations, new connections ( 9 different routes including the highly sophisticated orange line - IGI airport), I started spending time near the gate, like a professional guide I gave them a " cheese smile ", smile dragged those fish to bite. " hanji saab, ye huda city centre konsa line mei he ?"- hell long question but I got the keywords "HUDA CITY CENTRE" and "LINE". I replied with a huge confidence - " Namashkar ji, Blue line + smile ", that worked . there  I started the game, I went daily for 10 days with a map and a cheese smile.
Image result for cheese smile
22nd March 2018, I got an interviews, attended with a cheese-smile, they were in need of junior doctor and appointed me with a message that I should learn the spoken-hindi more as early as possible.

Alright, in short, that is how it all started, from sign language to a smile language with the help of a metro-map. thanks to delhi- metro corporation, Lol.

                                       ************************************

25 March 2018 -Oh yes, I joined a hospital towards north Delhi, I was supposed to work from 9 am to 7 pm during those first 2 months where I would get maximum assistance from the crew, and then to started nights where you have minimum hands to help,

Trust me, work-place without an effective communication is the best place to build your - patience. Although, nurses & patients could follow English, they preferred not to hide their emotions in words after our conversation in the beloved language- (ye kya bol raha he, isko hindi nahi athi to dhavayi kaise dhega etc.). Fortunately or not, you can not reply to those comments even after knowing that's something "I should not speak". My answer was - cheese smile and walk out slowly.

I would love to add an incident happened , In the ward, where I see admitted patients.

Image result for doctor confused cartoonI got a call from the nurse saying one patient is requesting for you, please be here soon. I ran and saw her " 72 years old female patient who already having type 2 diabetes and hypertension got admitted with generalized weakness from last one week. Me : " Hi , how may I help you mam? ".she : "bete...meri pyr so raha he" - OMG, what was that????, I thought I have learned almost a lot by now but this one shocked me, (Pyr - leg  & sona - sleep), how can her leg sleep while she is awake? does anybody's leg sleeps?- I gotcha, she meant numbness, not an emergency. There I understood the principle- "Do not just hear things, but use some brain".

Here I am after 2 years as someone who could read those Hindi speaking minds without any words, being able to talk, laugh, order,advice,console even imitate, Lol. Felt like someone who conquered a kingdom. cheeese-smile.

                                   **************************************

Not just mentally I was upgraded , professionally too. Of course ,I dealt with better case and emergencies, more than that I decided to prepare myself for a better future,It is from Delhi I cleared the English language assessment exams, medical exams while doing 24 hour duties on alternate days. It was tough but I came out as a butterfly in Darwin's theory of "struggle for existence".

My highest gratitude to all of the staffs, nurses, doctors , neighbors including those who asked me the direction in rajiv chowk metro station when I only had a metro-map and a cheese smile.

I take this opportunity to remember those moments that I had with you, especially -

Dr. Sami ul Rafi- always sharp on time and lovely as a kashmir valley.
Dr. Paresh & Dr. Sunil - helped to walk around and correct mistakes.
Dr. Sharad - for the positive feedback after trials.
Dr Haider - Always getting positive vibes and you are an all-rounder.
Dr Varun - most humble and helpful.
Dr Manoranjan - I think we were enemies in last birth, It was fun bro.
Dr Mandeep singh - For all the help , you are highly professional.
Dr Utsav - For being nice and calm.
Dr Raj - For the support during night emergencies.

I would be happy to cherish those duty shifts with Kukku, Vishnu, Anita madam, ramya chechi, liji, narmada 1 &2, sangeetha, devarani, lovely, indu, balesh, deepa, nirupama, libi chechi, armavati, bidya short & tall, pintu, jaya, jibelata, mina, mam thoi, Julia, Jinsu chechi, Nivedita, shiwali, Kiran, Sheeja, komal 1&2, Memmory, Roni bala, niva, dibora, Aneesha and all the haiderpur boys, staffs including raman sharwan raju and all.

You all were amazing ,I miss you all. 





Comments

  1. Very inspiring and touching. It's great to finally see your journey these past 2 years from your vantage. Best wishes for your bright future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great, keep going and keep noting your journey.
    All the best bro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog dear...
    Nice to know you have so much of sweet and sour memories to cherish..
    You fought so boldly to finally conquer the battle of learning to ultimately achieve your goals..
    Thank you to include me in your thoughts..
    All the best in life..
    God bless you...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

                                                  ഞങ്ങൾ മർകസ് നിവാസികൾക് , പ്രത്യേകിച്ചും ഹൈ സ്കൂൾ വിദ്യാർഥികൾക് ... മർകസ് എന്ന ലോകത്തു AP ഉസ്താദിനെ പോലെ പ്രിയമുള്ള വ്യത്യസ്ത മുഖങ്ങളുണ്ട്. ആ മുഖങ്ങളിൽ എനിക്ക് ഏറ്റവും പ്രിയപ്പെട്ട വ്യ്കതിയാണ് കോയ മാഷ്‌ . അതിന്റെ കാരണം അറിയണമെങ്കിൽ അധികം വിവരിക്കേണ്ട കാര്യം ഒന്നും ഇല്ല . ഇന്നലെ , മാഷ്‌ എനിക്ക് തന്ന മറുപടിയിലേക്ക് ഒന്ന് കണ്ണോടിച്ചാൽ മതി. നമ്മളെല്ലാം അഹങ്കരിച്ചും ധിക്കരിച്ചും ഈ ഭൂമിയിൽ നടക്കുമ്പോ , ഭൂമി ഒന്ന് കുലുങ്ങാതെ കടൽ വന്ന് മുക്കാതെ എല്ലാം ഇരിക്കുന്നതിന്റെ കാരണം, ദേ .. ഇവരെ പോലെ ഉള്ള നല്ല മനസ്സിന്റെ ഉടമകൾ ഭൂമിയിൽ ഉണ്ട് എന്നുള്ള ഒറ്റ കാരണം മാത്രമാണ്. ഇന്നും , കോയ മാഷിനെ തേടി സ്കൂളിൽ പോയാൽ ക്രിസ്ത്യവിന്റെ തലയ്ക്കു ചുറ്റും ഉള്ള പ്രകാശം പോലെ കാണാം ചുറ്റും കുട്ടികളുടെ ഒരു കൂട്ടം , അദ്ദേഹത്തിന്റെ വീട്ടിൽ പോയപ്പോ കൂട്ടുകാരുടെ ഒരു കൂട്ടം. തികച്ചും മാതൃകാപരമായ ഒരു ജീവൻ. കഴിഞ്ഞ തവണ കണ്ടപ്പോൾ മകനും അധ്യാപക വൃത്തിയിലെക്ക് കടന്നു എന്ന് മാഷ്‌ പറഞ്ഞപ്പോൾ വലിയ സന്തോഷം തോന്നി. മാഷിനെ പോലെ ഉള്ളവരെയാണ് ഞങ്ങൾക്ക് വേണ്ടത് . പറയാൻ ഇനീം ഇണ്ട് കുറെ. എന്നാലു

When a dead baby spoke

I always thought I had become more robust than a few years ago. While we run through med school, various moments and incidents push us to be stronger than a 1st-year medical student.  Every medico goes through various stages of challenges. It can start from dissecting a formalin stained cadaver, attending postmortems, assisting surgeries, wiping a road traffic crash patient, giving hands in childbirths, declaring dead etc.  Every doctor you see is naturally immune to emotions, not because we want to. Still, just like a policeman interrogating a criminal without any chance of mercy, our tear gland dried off long ago.  I thought I was also more vital to all sorts of emotions until an innocent baby’s face reactivated the waters in my eyes. He was born dead for some reason. He had no signs of life at birth, but…!!  He spoke to me with those frozen lips, he touched me through those never moved hands, he looked at me with that unopened eyes, he smiled at me with that still lips. It was so ha

First night with peace

  എല്ലാവരേം പോലെ തന്നെ .. കടങ്ങളില്ലാത്ത ഒരു ദിവസത്തിനായിരുന്നു എന്റെയും ഓട്ടം ... ജീവിതമെന്ന നെട്ടോട്ടം ..!! ദിവസങ്ങളോളം, അല്ല മാസങ്ങൾ , അതും അല്ല -വർഷങ്ങൾ വേണ്ടി വന്നു എന്റെ കൊച്ചു കടം വീട്ടാൻ ..!! ഇന്ന് ഞാൻ സന്തോഷവാൻ ആണ് ..ബാങ്കിൽ ഒരുപാട് balance ഉള്ളത് കൊണ്ടല്ല .. മറിച് ,സാമ്പത്തിക കടങ്ങൾ ഇല്ലാതെയാണ് ഇന്ന് ഞാൻ രാത്രി കണ്ണടക്കുന്നത് ..!! ഇനി ഈ കണ്ണ് തുറന്നില്ലേലും .. സന്തോഷം .. സമാധാനം 😀 ഇനിയും കടങ്ങൾ കയറാം ... പലതും സംഭവിക്കാം , പക്ഷേ ...!ഇന്നത്തെ ഉറക്കത്തിന്റെ സുഖം , കിടക്കാൻ പോകുമ്പോഴുള്ള സമാധാനം , ഇഷാ കഴിഞ്ഞു മുകളിലേക്ക് നോക്കിയുള്ള ഒരു ദീർഘ ശ്വാസം ...!! അതെ,ഇന്ന് എന്റെ ആദ്യരാത്രിയാണ് ... ജീവിച്ചു തുടങ്ങിയതിന് ശേഷം സമാധാനത്തോടെ കിടക്കാൻ കഴിഞ്ഞ ആദ്യത്തെ രാത്രി ...!! മെഡിക്കൽ വിദ്യാഭ്യാസത്തിന് വേണ്ടി എടുത്ത വായ്പ , മറ്റുള്ളവരെ സംബന്ധിച്ചിടത്തൊളം വലിയ ഒരു amount അല്ലെങ്കിലും .. എന്നെ കൊണ്ട് താങ്ങാവുന്നതിലും അപ്പുറം ... "ആയുസ് - ആരോഗ്യം " മാത്രമായിരുന്നു ഒരേ ഒരു മുതൽക്കൂട്ട് . പഠനം കഴിഞ് , ജോലി കിട്ടിയിട്ടും , ഓടി നടന്ന് പരിശ്രമിച്ചിട്ടും , വർഷങ്ങൾ രാത്രിയും പകലും കിടന്നോ