Skip to main content

 WORK HARD - PRAY HARD 

        "The best way to get what you need."



It was absolutely a pleasant experience where I walked from complete uncertainty to a safe and secure state, which was never pre-planned. (Before I begin, to clarify the misunderstanding, I am not a good religious person, but I do try to keep things onboard)

 

I came to England at the beginning of 2020, following the usual huddles and struggles, secured a Job here under the National Health Service. Like most immigrant doctors, after working for a year in a busy hospital, I also started shifting the gear – to do higher training or specialize in a particular area of medicine. We have gates open for all the specialty training right from General practice to Radiology.

Interestingly, when I dealt with some patients in accident and emergency department I started feeling a particular interest towards those who attended with mental health illness, people who presented by hearing unique voices from the air or seen amazing images which only they could see, including people came with attended suicide by taking an overdose of tablets, tried to cut themselves with knives, etc. Hence, I decided to be a Psychiatrist for the rest of my career and applied for the exam. 

 

I managed to take some time off from work, spent more time with academic books and valuable websites, finally gave the exam. Surprisingly, I got through the exam well, and I was offered a training post in psychiatry where I wished to study.

 

I moved to the new place, started spending entire days in the new area of medicine – mental health. Soon I started, I began to feel the real taste of mental health. I have seen patients with adjustment issues, severe depression, alcohol dependence, people with schizophrenia, drug-induced psychosis, personality disorders, etc. I had a good chunk of exposure to patients who would keep you on your edge of emotions like fear, anger, threatening, sadness, etc. Also, I could hear many stories filled with suicides, crimes, assaults, abuse, rape, neglect, etc., under good supervision.

 

After a while, I realized that this is not something that I would enjoy doing for the rest of my life along with other personal factors. Now everything started going wrong; I had very minimal options:


 1. Leave the Job – fly back home – wait for another Job with a new visa (which takes months).

 2. Wait and continue the same job for a year, then attend the next Specialty exam to change specialty.

 3. Carry on being a Consultant Psychiatrist even without a 100% interest in it.


As I faced uncertainty with each day ahead, I started feeling terrible; Simultaneously, my brain started those shadow murmurs and self-blames for losing a good opportunity by choosing a specialty that I now feel incapable of carrying on. 


However, I accidentally shared my situation with a sensible friend, which became a light source in my complete darkness. He advised me to re-apply for the second round of specialty training recruitment where I don’t have to appear for the exam but to carry the score from the previous exam. (it happens twice a year in where 2nd round with minimal seats -10% of round1).

 

Completed the Application, submitted all the requirements needed on time through very dramatic incidents before the deadline -17th August. I carried on through the mental health job seeing all similar clinical events keeping a hidden hope inside for changing specialty when the board publishes the results. 


As you can see, I was waiting for the results on Thursday 23rd September  – the same score from the previous exam was published, but unfortunately, there was no post available for me….!!

 

Once Again, I was surrounded by uncertainty, the hopelessness of not moving forward and getting stuck with something I did not enjoy religiously. Again, I bounced back to those few sensible friends who are positive thought bombers. As they said, I was waiting for a job offer in the coming week – Monday 27th September.


After the stressful and thoughtful weekend, I started Monday as usual, spent time in the ward, arranged and sorted a few plans by the consultant, and prepared for the afternoon session. I walked into the Doctors duty room, had lunch quickly. Honestly, felt helpless and low. I stood on the prayer mat and prayed a bit, asking for what I wanted....!


Immediately, in a few minutes, My phone chimed once – an SMS “you have received a new offer”- that was so shocking and impulsive.

 

I knew I made a wrong choice at first by choosing an area of medicine that I thought was perfect for me, but later I realized the need to move out. At the same time, I knew that I had done the work I should be doing – I have tried my level best to get an average score in the exam, and the best next thing I could do was attempt again with the score I had in my hand … and I Prayed .. now I got what I wanted….!! Soon to be started with the new job by February 2022.

 

(Moral: In life, we might bump into places, persons, or relationships which we expect to be the best for us, but later, when we get in and feel it, it may taste precisely opposite to what we felt initially. “Challenging situation “– but we must deal with it than die in it.


If you have done your best to sort out the situation – then, pray hard and deep – there is no way that you are left alone)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

                                                  ഞങ്ങൾ മർകസ് നിവാസികൾക് , പ്രത്യേകിച്ചും ഹൈ സ്കൂൾ വിദ്യാർഥികൾക് ... മർകസ് എന്ന ലോകത്തു AP ഉസ്താദിനെ പോലെ പ്രിയമുള്ള വ്യത്യസ്ത മുഖങ്ങളുണ്ട്. ആ മുഖങ്ങളിൽ എനിക്ക് ഏറ്റവും പ്രിയപ്പെട്ട വ്യ്കതിയാണ് കോയ മാഷ്‌ . അതിന്റെ കാരണം അറിയണമെങ്കിൽ അധികം വിവരിക്കേണ്ട കാര്യം ഒന്നും ഇല്ല . ഇന്നലെ , മാഷ്‌ എനിക്ക് തന്ന മറുപടിയിലേക്ക് ഒന്ന് കണ്ണോടിച്ചാൽ മതി. നമ്മളെല്ലാം അഹങ്കരിച്ചും ധിക്കരിച്ചും ഈ ഭൂമിയിൽ നടക്കുമ്പോ , ഭൂമി ഒന്ന് കുലുങ്ങാതെ കടൽ വന്ന് മുക്കാതെ എല്ലാം ഇരിക്കുന്നതിന്റെ കാരണം, ദേ .. ഇവരെ പോലെ ഉള്ള നല്ല മനസ്സിന്റെ ഉടമകൾ ഭൂമിയിൽ ഉണ്ട് എന്നുള്ള ഒറ്റ കാരണം മാത്രമാണ്. ഇന്നും , കോയ മാഷിനെ തേടി സ്കൂളിൽ പോയാൽ ക്രിസ്ത്യവിന്റെ തലയ്ക്കു ചുറ്റും ഉള്ള പ്രകാശം പോലെ കാണാം ചുറ്റും കുട്ടികളുടെ ഒരു കൂട്ടം , അദ്ദേഹത്തിന്റെ വീട്ടിൽ പോയപ്പോ കൂട്ടുകാരുടെ ഒരു കൂട്ടം. തികച്ചും മാതൃകാപരമായ ഒരു ജീവൻ. കഴിഞ്ഞ തവണ കണ്ടപ്പോൾ മകനും അധ്യാപക വൃത്തിയിലെക്ക് കടന്നു എന്ന് മാഷ്‌ പറഞ്ഞപ്പോൾ വലിയ സന്തോഷം തോന്നി. മാഷിനെ പോലെ ഉള്ളവരെയാണ് ഞങ്ങൾക്ക് വേണ്ടത് . പറയാൻ ഇനീം ഇണ്ട് കുറെ. എന്നാലു

When a dead baby spoke

I always thought I had become more robust than a few years ago. While we run through med school, various moments and incidents push us to be stronger than a 1st-year medical student.  Every medico goes through various stages of challenges. It can start from dissecting a formalin stained cadaver, attending postmortems, assisting surgeries, wiping a road traffic crash patient, giving hands in childbirths, declaring dead etc.  Every doctor you see is naturally immune to emotions, not because we want to. Still, just like a policeman interrogating a criminal without any chance of mercy, our tear gland dried off long ago.  I thought I was also more vital to all sorts of emotions until an innocent baby’s face reactivated the waters in my eyes. He was born dead for some reason. He had no signs of life at birth, but…!!  He spoke to me with those frozen lips, he touched me through those never moved hands, he looked at me with that unopened eyes, he smiled at me with that still lips. It was so ha

First night with peace

  എല്ലാവരേം പോലെ തന്നെ .. കടങ്ങളില്ലാത്ത ഒരു ദിവസത്തിനായിരുന്നു എന്റെയും ഓട്ടം ... ജീവിതമെന്ന നെട്ടോട്ടം ..!! ദിവസങ്ങളോളം, അല്ല മാസങ്ങൾ , അതും അല്ല -വർഷങ്ങൾ വേണ്ടി വന്നു എന്റെ കൊച്ചു കടം വീട്ടാൻ ..!! ഇന്ന് ഞാൻ സന്തോഷവാൻ ആണ് ..ബാങ്കിൽ ഒരുപാട് balance ഉള്ളത് കൊണ്ടല്ല .. മറിച് ,സാമ്പത്തിക കടങ്ങൾ ഇല്ലാതെയാണ് ഇന്ന് ഞാൻ രാത്രി കണ്ണടക്കുന്നത് ..!! ഇനി ഈ കണ്ണ് തുറന്നില്ലേലും .. സന്തോഷം .. സമാധാനം 😀 ഇനിയും കടങ്ങൾ കയറാം ... പലതും സംഭവിക്കാം , പക്ഷേ ...!ഇന്നത്തെ ഉറക്കത്തിന്റെ സുഖം , കിടക്കാൻ പോകുമ്പോഴുള്ള സമാധാനം , ഇഷാ കഴിഞ്ഞു മുകളിലേക്ക് നോക്കിയുള്ള ഒരു ദീർഘ ശ്വാസം ...!! അതെ,ഇന്ന് എന്റെ ആദ്യരാത്രിയാണ് ... ജീവിച്ചു തുടങ്ങിയതിന് ശേഷം സമാധാനത്തോടെ കിടക്കാൻ കഴിഞ്ഞ ആദ്യത്തെ രാത്രി ...!! മെഡിക്കൽ വിദ്യാഭ്യാസത്തിന് വേണ്ടി എടുത്ത വായ്പ , മറ്റുള്ളവരെ സംബന്ധിച്ചിടത്തൊളം വലിയ ഒരു amount അല്ലെങ്കിലും .. എന്നെ കൊണ്ട് താങ്ങാവുന്നതിലും അപ്പുറം ... "ആയുസ് - ആരോഗ്യം " മാത്രമായിരുന്നു ഒരേ ഒരു മുതൽക്കൂട്ട് . പഠനം കഴിഞ് , ജോലി കിട്ടിയിട്ടും , ഓടി നടന്ന് പരിശ്രമിച്ചിട്ടും , വർഷങ്ങൾ രാത്രിയും പകലും കിടന്നോ